Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Keepin' it Real...

Well, it’s rolling on down to time for my vacation! I’m so looking forward to this.

Kim and Greg called last weekend to confirm a few things and I sent them an updated schedule with train times.

Kim is going to tweak my schedule just a bit, herself, and when she does I’ll post it.

One of my most favorite things to do on vacation is buy presents. Which is odd, because it costs money and they can be very unwieldy to carry. However, be that as it may, I LOVE doing it. One of my most memorable trips was when I was in York and I located a ropemaker on the other side of the county. Well, I have a friend that makes rope and another friend that wanted sheep’s roving (which is the cleaned and processed wool of a sheep). I had NO idea how I was going to do this, but I got in my car, and headed out (on the LEFT side of the road) for Hawes – land of the ropemaker. Well, it was an interesting tour on how rope is made, and I was able to get a few samples and a book for my friend. Amazingly enough, we were at the heart of Wensleydale (sort of the Wisconsin of England). They had a country museum in Hawes, and it was THERE I was able to locate a sheep farm that sold roving! So, on my way back, I did a little side trip, and Voila. Sheep roving!

I liken my passion for finding gifties to hunting wild game in Africa. I love chasing down the exact right gift. It doesn’t always work out that way, and I know plenty of my friends are likely tired of key chains and post cards… but I do my best.

Thank goodness for my friend Russ who just comes right out and says, “I’d like a shot glass from…” or “something in tweed from Scotland”… those are the most efficient trips, I find.

Now, for myself? I usually do one or two really memorable things. Like in Dublin, I got myself a tshirt from the concert I attended and one from Trinity College.
I don’t know what I’ll be getting’ myself into this year.  Probably something from the distilleries I plan to visit in Scotland. I’ll be going back to the ropemakers for more samples for my friend as well. And I’ve run out of locations for sheep roving – unless you know of any!!!

That’s about it for this round. I’ll write more when I get the updated schedule.
Tirrah, me ducks!

No comments:

Post a Comment