Tuesday, August 3, 2010

It's All Good!

Hello dear reader!

I'm back after a long hiatus. Shall I bore you with my life or try to write something witty?

Well, since you're a captive audience, I'll bore you with my life. :)

I've been unemployed, looking for work, and found a contract since I last wrote. It's a bit of a sticky wicket (finding work), but I have an angel looking out for me, obviously.

Ok, I want to tell you something so strange you probably will not believe it. I bought a ticket to the UK a few months back (no, that's not the strange part). The strange part was that ... once I bought it, I lost all energy to want to go! I mean, you know me - c'mon! By now, I have transportation all worked out, places to stay, people to see...

And this year, nothing! I wish I knew what it was about. It may be the time of year I chose (October) so that I could join Thom the World Poet at the Cheltenham Literary Festival. October is not my first choice of month when vacationing in the UK. And then, Thom did not get the offer of a ticket that he usually does, so - for the first time in a decade - he's not going to be there!

A kind of depression set in when I thought of going to England this year.

And then...

I got this job that pays really well. If I took off two weeks, that's $4K of pay lost. Not to mention the $2500 it costs me in room, transportation, food, and sundry costs for the rest of the trip. $6500 for two weeks in the UK in October... a bit too pricey especially in lieu of the weird mental state I was in about it.

So, I canceled the one or two plans I *had* made. And am going to take the hit when it comes to the airfare (non-refundable ticket through the evil, satanic priceline).

What's on the agenda now?

I've got a couple of ideas for travel talks at REI I'm considering. I'm working on a book (not travel related). Keeping up with hospice, puppies, friends, and work.

And yet...

My gypsy heart keeps calling. I recently ran into my old friend Diana who traveled with me to England in 1999. She wants to do another trip...

And perhaps it's time to break out of my comfort zone. I'm considering two weeks in Europe (will likely at least include London, Edinburgh, or Dublin in that). I'm working on a sly idea to piggy back off an existing tour (I hate guided tours). But, it means a price break for airfare, lodging, and food. I'll be chatting with the Nomad Lady (Sharon) about the feasibility of this and will contact Diana to see how she feels.

I'm thinking... June 2011?

It's all good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment