Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Final Days

We’re coming down to the wire. I have my calendar worked out, my confirmations printed, and tickets at the ready. All of the connections and trapdoors have been studied. I’ve minimized the possibility of a nervous travel breakdown. Or have I?

I thought I’d give you the last minute preparations that I make for my trips. Maybe this will help you when you get yourself together for your great British adventure!

Trip Book

I have a week to go, so I go down the list to ensure I have everything I need in my trip book. A trip book is the compilation of every bit of paperwork you’ll need for your trip. Mine includes
  • My trip calendar
  • Airline reservations
  • B&B/Hotel Confirmations
  • Event Confirmations and Tickets
  • In-Country travel reservations
    • Train
    • Car Rental
    • Taxi reservations
  • Expense sheet
  • Phone numbers and addresses for important contacts
  • Gift list for people who I’m taking gifts to from the U.S. and those I’m bringing gifts to from the U.K.
  • Trip insurance info
  • Maps and travel info for each step of the trip
  • Copy of my passport and important credit card info

Weather

I check the weather up to the day of departure. I also look at the historical weather for my destination. Currently, the low is in the upper 40s and the high in the mid 60s. It also appears to be raining (really?). But that tells me several things.
  • I need to layer – I’ll be bringing clothes that I can wear on top of other clothes and a fleece jacket to wear under my waterproof jacket.
  • I need shoes that are waterproof and that have good coverage (no sandals).
  • I may or may not bring an umbrella (your choice). I find that they usually just get in the way. A waterproof jacket with a hood works great.

Mail

I make sure my mail is being held during my trip. Just click here to fill out a form with the dates you’ll be gone.

Credit Cards

I call my bank and credit card companies to let them know the dates I’ll be out of country so I don’t have any of them shut down on me!

Transportation

I have transportation set to get me to and from the airport both in the U.S. and England.

Money

I’m carrying very little. I use cards most places I go so cash isn’t really necessary for the most part. When I land, I’ll get cash at an ATM.

So, this is it! Final days. Let the games begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment