Monday, August 1, 2016

The Month after the Month Before

It's taken me a couple of months to get my feet back on the ground after my lovely trip to the UK 2016!  In case you missed the blog post (in several parts), you can also see the video!

I came home and shortly thereafter, my work contract ended.  I was in limbo for a bit trying to figure out my next course of action.  In the meantime, I taught "Strong Women in English History" at UT Informal Classes, researched my government TAA benefit (which will pay for two years of school if I work it right), started unemployment and searching for a new job, enrolled in graduate school in hopes of funding going through, and... last but not least... getting the legal paperwork done to see if we can't get things straight with Enterprise Car Rentals (see "Surviving the Ride", Scenario 2). 

I'm surprised that a car rental agency would be so sticky about something that was, fairly obviously, not the renter's fault!  But, you just never know, and I was not/am not letting them dictate my mood.  Things have actually been quite on the up side!  I'm hopeful that the agency will refund the money they charged to my credit card and that they mend the broken relationship they now have with a long-time customer.

I've got three classes coming up in the Fall, so I'm putting together the one I haven't taught yet (Remember, Remember the Fifth of November: Treachery and Treason in British History). It's even being taught on November 5th!  I was sure I was going to make the Guy Fawkes bonfire night this year until I realized that my ticket for Adele is that night!  Dagnabbit. :(  Well, at least I'm missing it for something wonderful. :)

So, what is the world outlook from my tiny room in Austin?  Politics is getting me down, but thankfully will be over shortly after Guy Fawkes night.  Perhaps the story of Guy Fawkes might inspire Americans to end the madness it did for England in the movie V for Vendetta.

But, politics aside, job aside, work aside, teaching aside, grad school aside, Enterprise legal battle aside... I've begun considering how to spend the last of my frequent flyer miles that will expire in 2017.   If things go the way I hope they do, and if I'm in grad school, I will have very little money for the trip.  I also want to fill in my blank spaces by visiting the East and South coasts of England, and more of Wales.  So, I will hopefully have generous friends that won't mind a visitor, and... God willing... a train ticket rather than a rental car! 

Too early to start planning yet, but we shall see how it all pans out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment