Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Insomnia - Just another way to beat jet lag???

Ok, well... yes, it's 3 am and yes, I'm up again.  The only thing to do is listen to music and write at this hour!

I've spoken recently with my friend Sharon,the Lady Nomad travel mentor extraordinaire.  She's coming over this week sometime to go over packing options.

I know some folks will say that so much attention to packing detail seems silly.  But, if you ask a backpacker that question, they'll tell you the entire trip is centered around how you pack.  To me, it's much the same with regular travel.

I talk with folks all the time who gasp when I tell them I live out of an overhead bag for two weeks.  They tell me they could never do that!  But, honestly?  It would take you about an hour of hauling gigantic American luggage uphill to a B&B that's on the third floor of a walk-up with narrow staircases to tell you...

Packing IS important!

Especially if you aren't overly athletic!

So, I've asked Sharon to come look at three options with me.  The Rick Steves bag, my old overhead, and the new Samsonite overhead.

I typically would've gone with my new luggage, but realized (too late) that even though I saved a bundle on the price tag - it's fairly hefty, and I'm not sure it offers all the space that my previous bag did.  I'm still not convinced about the Rick Steves half suitcase/half backpack... but perhaps she can change my mind.  She typically travels that way.

I finally got a request for a travel gift! I love it when people have something specific they want.  This year, I'll be on a quest to find a lucet for a friend that weaves and spins.  I've already located a shop that sells them in  Edinburgh, though getting there will definitely be the biggest part of the adventure!  I may also be getting a request for a tartan for a co-worker's baby girl.  That would be fun (and much easier!).

Anyway, as always, I'm up for travel talk if you have any questions or discussion points.  Feel free to post here!

No comments:

Post a Comment