Wednesday, February 24, 2016

The Bucket List


Everyone has one, right?  Those things you want to do before you “kick the bucket”.  I was thinking about my Great Britain bucket list.  I’ve seen a lot of the country, but there are a few things that are still rattling around in my head.  I thought I’d lay them down in bits and bytes for you to read.  And, just maybe, it will get you thinking about your GB bucket list!
  1. The New Forest.  I’ve heard such lovely tails of how beautiful it is.  It lies in Hampshire in the area of south central England.  It is near Bournemouth on the south coast and was originally created as a royal hunting ground.
  2. Isles of Scilly. I’ve not really visited that many outlying islands.  The Isles of Scilly are the south and western most areas of England.  Ten main islands and 45 lesser islets make up the Isles of Scilly.  The largest of the islands is St. Mary’s which has about 1700 residents and is about 7 miles in diameter.
  3. Isle of Wight.  It’s amazing to me that I’ve never seen the Isle of Wight!  Queen Victoria loved it here and spent many vacations at Osborne House in East Cowes.  It hosts an annual regatta and some lovely beaches.  The population of the Isle of Wight is around 140,500 and it’s around 14 miles in diameter.  The Isle of Wight may be best known for its rock festival in Newport which is similar to the Woodstock festival in America.
  4. Findhorn Community.  This is the largest intentional community in Great Britain and was begun as a spiritual community. They are now an eco-village that provides education, workshops, and publications.  Findhorn is located in the council area of Moray which borders Aberdeenshire and Highland on the northeast side of Scotland. 
  5. Brecon BeaconsNational Park.This lovely mountain range covers over 500 square miles of south Wales. A friend had recommended it to me, and it's been on my list ever since.  Who doesn't want a gorgeous view of an ancient land?  Preferably on foot!
  6. Portmeirion, Wales.  This has been on my bucket list forever!  The reason I’ve not made it here is that it’s a bit off my usual travel path to get there.  Portmeirion is known for its unusual architecture which was designed in Italian style by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis between 1925 and 1975.  This village was most well known as the shooting location for the popular British tv series “The Prisoner” in the 1960s.  It’s located on the northwest coast of Wales.
  7. Canterbury Cathedral.  I guess I watched the movie Becket one too many times when I was young.  Canterbury Cathedral feels like a magical place to me.  It’s located in southeastern England in the county of Kent.  It’s not hard to get to by train from London, so it may be a great day trip one of these vacations.
  8. Orkney Islands.  These islands stretch off the northeast coast of Scotland.  They are have been inhabited for at least 8,500 years!  It’s an adventure in history, sea life, and scenery.  Someday…
  9. Cambridge.  I’ve been to Oxford, and I don’t imagine Cambridge is much different, but I’d like to see it.  It’s about 50 miles north of London and is one of the top five universities in the world!  It’s also the home county for Prince William and Princess Kate (the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge).
  10. St. Michael’s Mount.  Located off the southern coast of Cornwall, is a tidal island with a castle at its summit which is designated as a part of the National Trust.  Only passable at low tide, you can visit this interesting island and tour the castle during certain hours.
So, if you have some time and the inclination, I'd like to challenge you.  Even if you've never been to the UK before, ask yourself, "what are my top ten destinations".  Do some research.  See if it's possible to make some or all a part of your visit to this amazing and interesting land!

No comments:

Post a Comment