Wednesday, February 10, 2016

What IS an Anglophile Anyway?

I’ve always hated that term, Anglophile, by the way.  It seems to resonate “I think the British are better than we are” or that I love Texas less.

So, let’s get this out of the way straight up: An Anglophile is not someone who worships the British.

Do I think the British have a better way of life than we do?  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Their standard of living is lower than ours, and I’m not sure I could make it financially over there (which is one reason I visit rather than move to the UK). The average salary in the UK is 26,000 GBP or $37,860.33.  After taxes, you’d be bringing home about $30,000.

Cost of living is higher in England than Texas.  The following cost difference calculation came from www.numbeo.com.
  • Consumer Prices in Austin, TX are 27.03% lower than in London
  • Consumer Prices Including Rent in Austin, TX are 33.94% lower than in London
  • Rent Prices in Austin, TX are 42.30% lower than in London
  • Restaurant Prices in Austin, TX are 31.84% lower than in London
  • Groceries Prices in Austin, TX are 9.98% lower than in London
  • Local Purchasing Power in Austin, TX is 55.44% higher than in London
Is their government better than ours?  Not really.  In fact, they seem to have fewer scruples especially when it comes to debating in the Houses of Parliament.
 
Is their healthcare better than ours?  Sometimes.  If you need a doctor, you can get one.  It may take awhile to get any major surgery taken care of.  It seems the timeframe for operating is longer. If you were getting a hip replacement in Harrogate, North Yorkshire, you could be waiting up to 22 weeks for the surgery.  In the U.S. it could be as little as a week.

So, why would someone spend so much time researching, studying, and visiting England?

The only real answer I can give is that it piques my imagination.  Ever since I read Jane Eyre, listened to the Beatles, and read fairy tales, England has been a bit of a mystery to me.  I’ve spent my whole life trying to unravel that mystery.
  • Why is it I couldn’t understand my Yorkshire butcher when we talked?
  • What is it about the British royal family that makes them so popular (or unpopular)?
  • Is there more to England than London?
  • What made the British flyers in WWII courageous enough to beat off a more superior attacking force?
  • Why did the Titanic sink?
  • Was Richard III the man Shakespeare made him out to be?
  • How is it that such a patriarchal society came to have some of the strongest female leaders in history?
  • What is a traditional English pub and why can’t we have them in the U.S.?
  • Is there any land more beautiful than the English Lake District? Any gardens prettier than in England? Any coastlines more amazing than in Cornwall?
  • What sort of mysterious and wonderful tales are being told within each village about its history and culture?
  • What will happen next at Downton Abbey?
This list of questions goes on and on.  I teach classes on travel to the U.K., in part, because I love hearing the kinds of questions that others are asking!  I’m sure that these types of questions can be asked of any ancient country, but they speak (a version) of English in England, I’ve lived there, and it’s the land of my forefathers.  I feel a strong kinship to it.

So, when someone classifies me as an anglophile I tend to cringe a bit.  I’m just a very curious person who happens to love England.  Huzzah!





No comments:

Post a Comment