Thursday, March 10, 2016

Things Stumbled Upon

You all know how much of a planner I am.  I actually have to plan spontaneous time into my schedule!  Still, I want to make sure you understand the difference between being well-planned and being too regimented.  I’ll give you a for instance.


In the late 80s, I planned a European vacation for myself and my (now) ex. It had so many highlights and timetables and small windows for error that we spent nearly the whole time worried about making the next time slot!  I never wanted to be tied to a schedule like that again.  So, these days when I plan, it’s with the knowledge that some parts of the plan will not happen (and that’s way ok with me!).  You never know what you’ll discover unawares when you least expect it.


One year, I traveled alone to the UK.  Now, one of the nice things about a BritRail pass is that you can take off whenever you like to wherever you like.  Having done about a minute’s research on Wales, I decided to do a spontaneous visit to Llandudno/Conwy.  I had no other idea of a plan in my head than that I would reach the rail station at Conwy.  Upon alighting the train, I went straight to the Visitor information centre and booked a room at a suggested B&B.  This began a magical couple of days where I visited places like the Great Orme and the Alice in Wonderland museum.  My B&B actually connected to the walls of Conwy Castle via a lush, green lawn.  I was in heaven!


So, what new stumbles await me this year?  Some of them are actually occurring during my trip planning.  Here’s what I mean.


I made plans for our trip months ago.  Only a few weeks back did I realize we would actually be in town for the Queen’s 90th and the Trooping of the Color.  I did a little digging, and found out you can be placed in a lottery for box seats to the event.  We’re waiting to hear that we got those seats! 


I was reading up on pubs and found that there are several very historic pubs in London that I might try.


Also, by happy accident, I learned that you can actually book a tour and afternoon tea at the Houses of Parliament.  We are booked and ready!


On my last trip to England, they had recently replaced the flooring in the Tower Bridge with a glass walkway.  Great way to see the Thames and to do something a little stomach churning at the same time!


Finally, I learned of a place called the Sky Garden which offers panoramic views of London for free (though you do have to book a time to come).  Why pay for the London Eye when you can do this for free?


As you can see, there are so many paths to think about when traveling.  And, sometimes, the best answer to what to do is to let your nose guide you.  You never know where you’ll end up!


Sky Garden, London

No comments:

Post a Comment