Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Weather and UK Travel


One of the main questions I get in my classes is: When is the best time to visit England? 

Oh, you folks that like to propose these kinds of loaded questions!  I live in Texas, and once told my English visitors to bring shorts and swimsuits for a March trip to Austin.  It turned out to be one of the coldest Marches I can recall!  So, the caveat to all that is:  I don’t control the weather!  It can change on a dime.  What I *can* do is offer my suggestions for determining the best time for you to travel.

You might think to yourself that July or August should be fantastic because those are typically the warmest months in an otherwise cold-weather country.  That could well be true, but you’ll be sharing your holiday with all the other Europeans who have July and August summer school holidays.  If this isn’t a problem for you, then you might consider those two months.

The other consideration for the summer months is that it’s peak season and could well cost you hundreds more in travel costs.  Lodging and transportation will definitely be more expensive.So, what *do* you do about this conundrum?

It’s fairly easy, I should think.  The first thing you do is to reference the historical weather for the part of England you are traveling to.  I typically go to Cumbria, so checking HERE, we find that the relative temperatures and rainfall in May and September are well within tolerable ranges.  Should be great weather for doing anything outdoors or in. 

The next thing I’d do is determine the events during those timeframes that might draw me to England.  That will help pick the initial travel dates.  This year, for instance, is the trooping of the color on June 11.  My trip is being planned for late May through mid-June.

The third consideration is cost.  Picking a shoulder season will be cheaper on the pocketbook and/or frequent flyer miles.  Booking well in advance will ensure you get the best seats for the cheapest frequent flyer miles.  My trip this year cost me 60,000 frequent flyer miles opposed to 70,000 or more. 

The cheapest seasons will be the off-seasons (the colder months).  Before you shake your head, this isn’t really a bad option!  If you see my notes from a trip to England in December one year, you may find tons of wonderful events and prices low enough to really make you smile.

So, you’ve picked your dates and you think you have it all planned.  What next?

About a week prior to flight, double-check the weather (and keep checking it) at your destination.  This will be your guideline for packing.  My trust in the ability of weathermen to accurately predict English weather is not extremely high, but it will give you an idea.

“Should I pack an umbrella?” I hear you ask. I wouldn’t.  Especially if you’re in a crowded city like London.  You’ll just poke someone’s eye out.  Besides, the winds pick up so much that a lot of times your “brolly” will just turn inside out and be of little use.  My suggestion is to bring a breathable, waterproof, unlined jacket with a hood (the hood is important!).  If you can find a jacket with a hood that has a bill on it, even better.  Next thing is to bring a fleece jacket so that if it gets cold, you can layer.

If you’re hiking, I suggest a headband that covers your ears as well as keeping the wind from whipping your hair in your face rather like THIS ONE.  You can even put your ponytail through it!

Make sure you bring things that are waterproof or water resistant.  I have several pairs of something similar to THIS
. I also have a few pairs of pants that convert from long to short length by unzipping the lower pants leg. 

Your shoes should also be waterproof and made of leather or man-made materials that are comfortable and durable.  If you plan on hiking, rather than carrying very heavy and space absorbing hiking boots and poles, I rent them from a local outdoor shop in England. 

T
he bottom line is, plan ahead.  Use common sense.  You’ll save time and money and – most importantly – you’ll enjoy your trip a lot more!

No comments:

Post a Comment