Friday, January 20, 2017

Trip 2017!

This year’s trip is already in the works. I’m changing things up quite a bit so that I’ll have even more information for my lovely classes in the Fall. This post is just a heads up that I’ve not ever traveled this way in combination before. It’s going to be a new experience and I hope to share lots of new tips and tricks and places to go with my upcoming classes.

So, here is the outlined plan:

 

Day 1-2


Drive to Houston and leave on a direct flight to London. My friend, Clare, is picking me up at the airport and taking me to her place. (Now on day two of the trip.)

Day 3


I’ve no plans for the day so I was thinking I might get out and explore Windsor castle if I’m not too jet lagged. We have planned a lovely evening watching a musical on the West End called Beautiful. It’s about the life of Carol King.

Day 4


Sandra has kindly offered to drive me northward to catch a train to Wales. Thanks, again, to my two friends who always seem to take care of me when I’m over there. There is a possibility that I may have lunch with a friend in Telford (if possible), but it will all depend on the train times and such. The end of Day 4, I’m checking into Mary’s Court B&B in Betws y Coed. This mountain town is supposed to be amazingly pretty and is close to other things I want to do!

 

Day 5


Take the Sherpa bus to Portmeirion. This town has been on my bucket list for ages! It’s a Mediterranean village plopped along the west coast of Wales. It’s also the setting for the 1960s TV show, the Prisoner. I hope to tick that box this year!

Note: On days 5 & 6, I’ve had the offer by a friend in the area to act as tour guide, so if we firm that up, I may not need the Sherpa bus! Thanks, Mark Clarke! I’m also looking forward to seeing his dog, Meffie, who looks a LOT like Maddie!

Day 6


Take the Sherpa bus to Mount Snowdon and take the train to the top! Woohoo! If I have any time left over, I’d like to see one of the local castles like Caenarfon, perhaps.

Day 7


Take the train northward to Ulverston where I’m staying with the lovely and effervescent Dawn Sharples for a few days. We’ll hopefully have time for a bite at the pub. I’m assuming she’s working on both weekdays I’m there, so spending Day 8 with Karin.

Day 8


Going with my friend Karin to shop for bargains! I love to shop thrift stores and garage sales, so Karin says she thinks we can find a boot sale or two! Wouldn’t that be fun!?!

 

Day 9


I’m hoping to get together with friends from the past to do a brief low-level hike somewhere. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Hoad, Dawn! LOL… or anywhere else folks want to meet. First round at the pub is on me afterwards!

 

Day 10


This is a Sunday, and I’m hopping the train for Lanark, Scotland to see my friend Frances and her pretty little spaniel, Pippa. Oh, and don’t forget Caramel the guinea pig.

Day 11


I’ve never been to Lanark, and am looking forward to catching up with Frances and sightseeing. She’s talked about taking me to New Lanark which is a world heritage center and visitor attraction! I’ve heard about this on my favorite series, Escape to the Country, and it seems like it will be so much fun!

 

Day 12


I wish I could stay in Scotland longer, but there’s so much to fit in in so little time! Sadly, having to say goodbye to Frances and friends, and heading southward to Rotherham, Yorkshire to meet up with my dear friends Chris and Linda. I love all my friends, but Linda has the added distinction of also being a Texan and Tennessean! We’re linked very distantly as relatives.

 

Day 13


This is a day that’s open to traveling anywhere Chris and Linda like. I wouldn’t mind seeing new or old places in Yorkshire – I’d love to take them through Thirsk and Kilburn, but perhaps they have something else in mind that would be another adventure.

 

Day 14


Tearfully leaving my friends and heading southward to link up with yet another old friend of mine (she’s not old, but the friendship is) Kim. I’m guessing that her boyfriend (an even older friend of mine) will be there with us as well. I asked Kim if we could hit some thrift stores and boot sales. I also want to know more about the land she lives in as I know virtually nothing about England’s east coast.

 

Day 15


Kim mentioned boot sales and Boudicca (two things near my heart), so I’m guessing we’ll be sightseeing and doing these things together for the next day or two.

Day 16


See day 15!

 

Day 17


Leaving Norfolk for London. Staying in a new hotel called the Park International which is very centrally located at Gloucester Rd. I will be having afternoon tea with Clare at the Victoria and Albert museum at 4 pm, so I better get a move on!

Day 18


Sightseeing day. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to tour Parliament during this period, but I’ll definitely try. I’d also like to visit the Queen’s Gallery and gift shop (my favorite gift shop in England). It’s on the back side of Buckingham Palace and offers higher quality souvenirs and the prices aren’t THAT awful (though some things can take your breath away).

I’m packing that night because I leave the motherland the following day.

 

Day 19


Depart London Heathrow at 1:40 pm and arrive Houston at 6 pm. I’ll stay the night with mom before heading home.

 

Day 20 – the Finale


Pick up my long lost children from the petsitter and crash.

Summary


This trip is a new adventure for me in many ways. I've never traveled this long or far by mass transit. Never tried staying with friends for most of my journey. Venturing into London's West End isn't new, but seeing the musical, Beautiful will be wonderful! I've never been to Betws-y-Coed, Snowdon, Portmeirion, or Snowdonia National Forest. I'm potentially meeting my new friend, Carrie Anne if we can make the connections work. I've never been to a boot sale, and I'm sure my Lake District hike will be an adventure as well! Going to New Lanark with Frances and exploring Yorkshire with Linda and Chris is new as is the exploration of Norfolk with Kim and Greg. I've never been to Windsor or taken a tour of the Houses of Parliament - not to mention tea at the Victoria and Albert!

In planning this, the best part, for me, is thinking of the friends I'll get to see and actually having more than a few minutes to catch up with each of them.  Be forewarned, my dears... I'm coming laden with silly Texas gifts again!  Already started making my stash. :)

So,  you see, this is going to, hopefully, be a massive culture shock for me. Am I ready for it?  In the words of that great musician, Marvin Gaye... "Let's Get it On!"

No comments:

Post a Comment